The Tamil Nadu Family Care Continuum (TNFCC) Program is an innovative and multi-sectoral model of comprehensive family centered care and support and treatment programs, implemented by Tamil Nadu State AIDS Control Society (TANSACS) with technical assistance from SAATHII, from September 2005 to April 2009. SAATHII provided technical assistance to TANSACS by helping in program design and implementation, monitoring, building the capacity of hospital, non-governmental organizations (NGO) and positive network partners, developing information, education and communication (IEC) materials, preparing operational guidelines, establishing the supply chain of nutrition supplements, and conducting need-based advocacy.
Between September 2005 and December 2008, the program registered and followed a total of 15,321 PLHIVs at three anti-retroviral therapy (ART) centers. Of these patients, 37% initiated ART, 80% received micro and macro nutrient supplements and 73% received community and home based care. The program added two ART centers from September 2008, which catered an additional 3,941 PLHIV by December 2008. Duke University, through a 24 month external evaluation of around 2,800 PLHIV from those registered, demonstrated statistically significant outcomes among infected adults and children with regards to clinical, nutritional, psycho-social and socio-economic indicators, and among affected children in regards to education and psycho-social outcomes. Based on three ART centers experiences, SAATHII scaled-up technical support to four additional ART centers within the program’s geographical coverage.
- GRAMODHAYA Social Service Society
- Positive People Welfare Society (PWST+),
- St. Joseph Leprosy Hospital
Arokiapuram Post, Tuticorin
- Community Health Education Society (CHES)
- Kancheepuram District Network of Positive People (KNP+)
- Madras Social Development Society (MSDS)
- The Animators for Community Development (ACD)
- Young Women Christian Association (YWCA)
- Indian Development Organisation (INDO) Trust
- Human Integrated Life and Learnings (HILLS)
- South India Positive Network
Periyar Nagar, Chennai,
The TNFCC Program received funding from The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation.